7.2.09

25 Things

The "25 Things" meme has taken on a life of its own. Facebook is lit up with versions of the meme recounting everything from childhood dreams to what people had for breakfast. People are answering, writing about it...it's quite a thing! I'm goin to take another crack at it here to help fill in some of the blanks since my last post.

1. I went to Ontario with my beau and visited three great yarn stores.

  • If you're in Belleville, you really do need to visit The Knitting Nimrod Collective. Thank you Ann-Marie for a great tip!

  • In Toronto, we spent a couple of days downtown and I visited Lettuce Knit with a non-knitting friend who -- I'm pretty sure -- had never considered what a yarn shop might contain. The petiteness of the store coupled with wall-to-wall (and floor-to-ceiling) inventory made his head spin.

  • We stayed with my sister and her gf for a few days, too, in the Beaches area. They mentioned a yarn store they'd seen on a walk so D and I set off to find it on our last day in the city. It turns out The Naked Sheep is only a 10 minute stroll from their house. Great store!


2. My beau and I returned from our trip and began looking at real estate in my city. We had been travelling back and forth every weekend all year and we knew it was time to be much closer to each other. The plan was to find a place that D could buy and live in on his own...but with space enough for me when the timing was right.

3. I turned 32! And D had his birthday a few days later.

4. D bought a condo! Less than 10 minutes from my place, it's big, beautiful and has living room walls that are just the most perfect shade of blue. There's a gigantic kitchen with great appliances (Hello dishwasher! I love you!), a fireplace, balcony and a bathroom with the biggest tub in the world.

5. I went to Halifax for work in October, met up with the lovely Ms Frozen Extremities and finally met my long-time imaginary friend Meegie face to face. It was a fun night!

6. At the end of October, local and national news was suddenly very personal when my long ago Honours thesis advisor and mentor was murdered in his home. We hadn't been in touch for awhile, but I'd seen him a couple of months earlier and was amazed by his warmth all over again. No matter when or how we connected, he had a way of getting through to me that few others have. He was one of the most peace-loving people I've ever met and I was crushed by the news. Like many others (but he always made me feel like I was the only one), I don't know who I would be without having known him.

7. D moved to Fredericton in mid-November. Yippee! It has been so, so nice to be able to enjoy the weekends without feeling like we need to cram two weekends into one every time.

8. Work has been busy and great. I'm still volunteering each week and teaching / coaching new knitters. I love it!

9. My sister, E, came home from Toronto at the end of November to spend a month of her off-season with family.

10. Our middle sister, B, had a little girl in early December. Lucky for me, I was in town the day Baby A was born and able to meet her just a couple of hours after her birth. It was an awesome day. I also had a visit on my own with her big sister, Miss J. We shared lunch in the hospital cafeteria and shot the breeze.

11. On December 16, my Dad's eldest living sister passed away very suddenly. I'll tell you the good things -- she was a great lady, the family matriarch, and a very creative person. If anyone could have out-Martha'd Martha Stewart, she would have. Every Christmas gift had been delivered, Christmas cards loaded with crocheted ornaments had reached their destinations and she'd made 43 dozen cookies just days before she fell ill. Most amazing, but somehow not surprising, her house was so full of sweets and treats that her homemade baked goods were all that were served at the reception following her funeral.

12. Christmas came very quickly after that. D and I were apart on Christmas Day but spent a few days at my Mum's and a few days at his before returning to Fredericton late on New Year's Eve Day.

13. Our New Year's plans included a friend's party so D and I got ready at our respective homes and he came to pick me up around 8:00. I was almost ready when he arrived but needed just a couple more minutes to get ready. He asked how long I was going to take because he needed to let his friend know so we could pick him up. I guessed ten minutes and he said, "Well, sometimes things take longer than you expect." And then he told me to sit down for a minute because he needed to talk to me about something. In fact, he said, he had something for me from the dollar store. He pulled out a Dollarama bag and I wondered when he'd been to the store because he dropped me off just minutes before they closed for NYE.

"It's a present. Not a Christmas present and..." A dark cloth bag was pulled out of the plastic one. "It's not really from the dollar store." He withdrew a dark blue box, lifted the lid and pulled out a ring box.

"ARE YOU SERIOUS?"

He knelt.

"ARE YOU SERIOUS?" I was starting to cry.

He asked for my hand in marriage.

"ARE YOU SERIOUS?"

He asked, "Will you marry me?"

"Yes! Of course!"

14. Then he said he had another proposal for me and asked if I would move to the condo as soon as I could get out of my lease.

"Yes! Of course!"

15. We called our families.

16. We called the friends who introduced us.

17. We picked up our friend T and went to the party

18. We arrived at the party and said a few hellos before our friend S (who helped D shop for the ring) put a very long distance friend (C) on speaker phone. Everyone said hello and I asked C what she was wearing.

"What am I wearing...? Pajamas. Why? What are *you* wearing?"

I pulled my hand out of my pocket for all (but her) to see and said "An engagement ring!!!"

The crowd went wild. Seriously.

And C said that getting the news in real time was the best present ever.


19 - 23 - Wedding planning is in full swing. The date is set, the church is booked, so is the reception venue, attendants have been asked and 101 other things have been arranged. 1000001 still to come, I know, but we're on our way.

24 - I'm still knitting. Dishcloths were about it for awhile, and baby slippers, but I'm finally putting my Briggs & Little Anniversary wool to good use and making a throw from Norah Gaughan's Knitting Nature. It's coming along but I've been doing other things to keep myself interested. This week, finally, a pair of socks is taking shape. Pomatomus knit with STR Metamorphic. They're awfully tight but I know they'll suit someone else very well. :)

25 - I've missed all of you!

[There may still be formatting issues with this post...my apologies...changes/fixes are coming]

10 comments:

Rebecca said...

That is awesome about the engagement :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one having problems with Pomatomus being too tight. Everyone blamed my tension, but since I'd gone up almost a full needle size, it couldn't have been all my fault.

Aven said...

Well, congratulations! That's wonderful, and it sounds like the perfect proposal/announcement experience.

RE: #5, my condolences; I'm sure I know who you're talking about -- he was a very close friend of my aunt and uncle in Fredericton, and they were hit very hard by it. There was a memorial service today, so I and my family have been thinking about him as well.

~Jo~ said...

This is the best 25 things list I have read!

Congratulations!!! :)

(Next week I'm going to Ottawa with my kids and we'll see Maman the spider and think of you!) ;-)

Steph said...

What a wonderful way to jump back into your blog. We've all been slack since f*book, haven't we?

Wasn't is just yesterday that you were at Tangled Skeins, talking about your first date with D?

So sorry about your auntie and your mentor.

kelli ann said...

congratulations to both of you! lovely ring, J...

welcome back ;-) glad to read your news-- such a mixed bag of happy & sad-- like life. with knitting.

Samantha said...

Oh Congratulations! That is so exciting and wonderful! :) Yay!!

jasmine said...

Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh!!!! Congratulations!!!

nadine said...

this is the BEST overview ever !
and of course, you can guess that by the time i finished reading Point Number 13, i'm crying & cried through all the rest.

I'm so very happy for you.
But hey.
I'm jealous of your VERY LARGE bath tub.

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Congratulations!!!!

kristi said...

OMG - Im just catching up with so many bloggers I have missed and what fantastic news - congrats! BTW, your hat pattern on Rav is also awesome! Please keep us posted!